A Guide to Computational Linguistics and Conversational AI
January 24th, 2024
A Guide to Computational Linguistics and Conversational AI What is Computational Linguistics? How Does Computational Linguistics Work? Importance of Computational Linguistics in AI What Is Conversational AI? How Does Conversational AI Work? How Computational Linguistics and Conversational AI Ease Our Daily Lives? Start a Career in Computational Linguistics and Conversational AI With upGrad Campus FAQs
- What Is the Difference Between Computational Linguistics and Conversational AI?
- What Is the Job Role of a Computational Linguist?
- What Is the Importance of Learning Conversational AI?
- What Qualifications Are Required for the Position of Computational Linguist?
What is Computational Linguistics?Computational linguistics is the scientific and engineering field that seeks to combine computer science and linguistics. It forms grammar frameworks to make it possible for machines to understand the properties of human language. Its key applications include summarising text, analysing spoken language with the sentiment, and even creating a human-like dialogue.
How Does Computational Linguistics Work?Computational linguistics uses theories and research findings of linguistics and computer science. Its methodologies process a large amount of data in the form of text. This facilitates the development of algorithms that can understand natural or human languages. It uses tools like text editors, parsers, speech recognition systems, etc.
Importance of Computational Linguistics in AIIt's not surprising that the idea of making machines and devices talk like humans has turned the eyes of businesses towards itself. Once computational linguistics is paired with AI, it produces customer service providers that can work 24/7. This is exactly why we have seen an influx of chatbots on websites. It is being utilised to improve the overall user experience of AI-driven applications. Simply put, improving the interaction improves the brand value. Needless to say, computational linguistics will be one of the peak careers soon. Read More : The Role of Linguistics in AI
What Is Conversational AI?Conversational AI is the development and implementation of artificial intelligence systems that can converse with humans in natural language. It blends machine learning, dialogue management, and NLP to form highly intelligent bots for text and voice channels. By this process, it enables computers to understand and respond to inputs from humans in human languages.
How Does Conversational AI Work?Large datasets of natural languages are used to train conversational AI to help them understand the human language. This massive amount of data fuels conversational AI to comprehend the query and respond appropriately. Read More : Chatbots and Conversational AI: Improving Customer and Business Service
How Computational Linguistics and Conversational AI Ease Our Daily Lives?Computational linguistics and conversational AI may sound typical, but they are all around us. They find application in various fields and have been simplifying our lives for years. Some of them include:
- Machine Translation: Translating one language to another, like Google Translate.
- Sentiment Analysis: Identifying the emotional tone of text or audio, like Grammarly.
- Speech Recognition: Virtual assistants and speech-to-text, like Siri.
- Named Entity Recognition: Identifying names, organisations, or locations within the text, like customers' names on e-commerce websites.
- Customer Support Chatbots: Personalised customer assistance on apps, or customer service portals, like ChatBuddy on upGrad Campus website.